Glasnevin local entitlements, glasnevin social welfare, glasnevin social housing. Information on 2013 entitlements below:



Primary Medical Cover: A Medical Card entitles you to all health services free. A GP Visit Card covers the cost of visits

to the doctor for your family. The means test for these cards is based on net income i.e. after the deduction of tax and PRSI; of

reasonable expenses on rent or mortgage; on travel to work; on childcare and of regular weekly out of pocket medical

expenses. Savings are valued in the same way as for non-contributory OAP. The cards will be granted if your remaining

income after these deductions does not exceed the following guideline for 2013:

M edical Card GP Only

Under 66 66 and over Under 66 66 and over

• Single living alone e184.00 e201.50 e276.00 e302.00

• Single living with family e164.00 e173.50 e246.00 e260.00

• Married couple (or single parent) e266.50 e298.00 e400.00 e447.00

Additional Allowance for Dependent Children: Medical Card GP Only

• for first two children under 16 e38.00 e57.00

• for other children under 16 e41.00 e61.50

• for first two children over 16 e39.00 e58.50

• for other children over 16 e42.50 e64.00

• for over 16 in full time third level (no grant) e78.00 e117.00

Persons on Social welfare who have no other income will generally qualify for a medical card. An increase in Social Welfare will

not cause you to lose your card. Free GP service will be given to a person with a Long Term Illness Card during 2013.

The HSE will consider cases outside these guidelines in special circumstances, for example to cover one family member with

high medical costs. Medical Card holders do not have to pay exam fees for children. Persons with British or EU pensions,

who have no Irish Social Welfare pension, generally qualify for the Medical Card regardless of income. Students will only

qualify for a medical card in their own right if they have an independent income of at least e204.30 but under the

above guidelines.

Persons aged 70+ qualify for a Medical Card if your gross weekly income is less than 600 per week (single), or

1,200 (couple). If you exceed this, a GP only card will be granted up to 700 (s) 1,400 (c).

• Once either spouse qualifies at 70, both get cover.

• A surviving partner aged over 70 will be allowed to keep their medical card for three years.

• In the means test, the first e36,000 (single), e72,000 (couple) of assets are disregarded. On the balance only the

income actually earned will be counted.

• A e1.50 charge per prescription item applies to medical card holders (max e19.50 per month per family). It does not apply

to those on the long-term illness scheme.

Drug Refund: Any family can get a refund on the cost of prescribed drugs used in any month in excess of e144

provided the drug is on the government list.

General Hospital Entitlements: Everyone is entitled to public in-patient and out-patient hospital services. However,

if you see a consultant privately, you will have to pay privately for any test or care arising, unless you give notice that you

wish to switch back to join the public waiting list for the treatment.

Charges: With the exception of Medical Card Holders, and children with long term ailments or referred from school health

examinations, the following charges must be paid in major public hospitals:

• Casualty and Outpatient e100 unless referred by your doctor or admitted to hospital

• Public Ward Bed e80 per night (up to a max. e800 in a year)

• Private patients pay e1,123 per night (semi-private), e1,248 (private), e921 (day care).

The distinction between public and private beds will be ended, so all private patients will over time be charged these

private bed rates.

Nursing Home Support: Under the “Fair Deal” patients seeking a place in either a Private or a Public Nursing Home

now have the same assessment of need and the same means-test for payment. The patient will be liable to pay towards

the cost of care:

• 80% of assessable income (i.e. after deduction of tax, PRSI, mortgage/rent and out-of-pocket medical expenses)

• plus 5% (rising to 7.5% during 2013) of the value of any assets, in excess of a disregard of e36,000.

A spouse is assessed with half of the couple’s joint income and assets. The HSE can assess assets transferred in the past

5 years. The balance of the cost will be met by the State.

If the assets are in property, the contribution can be deferred until settlement of the person’s estate, but the money owing will be

increased by the Consumer Price Index each year. In the case of the family home only, the deferred contribution will be

capped at 15% (i.e. after three years of care) (rising to 22.5% during 2013). The deferred charge against the home will not

be collected during the life time of a surviving spouse or a disabled child. This deferral must be separately requested

by the patient, or by a care representative approved by the Circuit Court for a patient who is not capable of making the

decision themselves.

HOME CARE PACKAGE: can fund a care plan in the home, where care is assessed as necessary either on discharge from

hospital, or by the Public Health Nurse to keep a person out of institutional care.

Carers Allow ance: A person who is living with, (or close by with a direct communication system), and giving full-time care

to a child on Domiciliary Care Allowance, or to any person aged 16 or over requiring full-time care, can apply for a

means-tested weekly Carers Allowance of e204 (e239 if carer is 66 or over) plus an annual e1,375 Respite Grant.

In the means-test, any weekly income of the carer in excess of e332.50 (single), or half of their own and their spouse’s

income in excess of e665 (married) is assessed. The allowance is reduced accordingly, disregarding the first e7.60.

Half rate Carers Allowance is payable to persons receiving another Social Welfare Payment.

An additional 50% allowance and full respite grant will be paid to a person caring for more than one incapacitated person. Carers

are entitled to free travel in their own right. A carer can take up training or paid employment for up to 15 hours per week.

Carers are entitled to credited contributions to keep you in benefit. When you cease caring, you are entitled to go on Back

to Work, Back to Education or Community Employment Schemes.

• Persons caring full time can qualify for e1,375 Respite Grant regardless of means but persons working over 15 hours or

on Jobseeker payments will not qualify.

• A Carers Benefit of e205 based on your Social Insurance can be claimed for short-term absences from work (up to 24 months)

for caring responsibilities. It is available to all insurance classes except S and J. Limited work earning up to e332.50 per week is

permissible, while claiming this benefit. Your job is protected for the 24 month duration.



Home Purchase Loan: The city council offers up to a 97% loan to persons earning under €50,000 (one earner), €75,000 (two

earners). The maximum available is €220,000. You must be in continuous employment for two years, and have been refused for

mortgage approval by two lending agency’s. The interest rate is 3.22% (including mortgage protection). Potential applicants must

have a credible savings record.

Home Choice Loan provides up to 92% of the market value of a property purchased to first time buyers. The maximum loan amount

is €285,000. Home Choice Loan offers one variable interest rate of 3.76%. See www.homechoiceloan.ie for full information.

Debt Prob lems If you are having difficulty keeping up with payments it is vital that you immediately inform those you owe

(utilities, banks, etc.) and seek advice. Options include:

• M oney Advice & Budgeting Service (MA BS) who advise and can negotiate with creditors (1890 283 438 or locally, Bunratty Rd


• Utilities offer Easypay options and even pre-payment meters in some circumstances.

• Community Welfare Service of the HSE offer access Supported Housing Payments (see below).

A Mortgage Code of Practice protects you by requiring the lender:- to explore alternatives (like interest only or extending the

term); not to apply penalties or force you to abandon a tracker mortgage; not to take legal action for repossession for 12 months

(not counting time when you are complying with an agreement or appealing internally, or to the Financial Service Ombudsman).

Rent & Mortgage Suppo rt

A supplement towards mortgage interest or rent may be payable where neither you nor your spouse is working full-time

(over 29 hours per week), subject to ceilings, and a means test (see below), provided you meet the following eligibility


Rent to be eligible:

Already renting (or in homeless accommodation) for at least six months, or on the Council’s housing needs list.

Otherwise you must be first assessed by the Council as in housing need (emergency cases fast-tracked by DCC).

M ortgage Interest to be eligible:

You have complied with an alternative repayment arrangement with your lender for a cumulative period of 12 months before

the application.

Only that part of the loan used for the purpose of essential work on your home, can be supported


No supplement will generally be paid where the rent (interest) exceeds ceilings set out for different family size (e.g. €300 (Single

sharing), €875 (Single parent + 1), €925 (Couple + 2)). When interest is higher a supplement may be paid if the circumstances

warrant it, but only for twelve months.

The supplement is calculated as the sum necessary to bring your assessed income, after payment of rent (interest) back up to €156

(single), €275.80 (couples) plus €29.80 for each child. Assessed income includes the first €95.23 of any maintenance payment, and

weekly Social Welfare. Deductions are allowed from other income (e.g. part-time earnings, FIS, or higher maintenance payments) of

PRSI, the cost of travelling to work, the first €75 plus 25% of the balance.

A person returning to full-time work who has been out for at least 12 months may retain part of these supplements:

For mortgage interest on a tapered basis over 4 years (75% falling to 25%) but only where gross household income (after FIS,

PRSI and travel to work) doesn’t exceed €317.43.

• For rent, where the Council has deemed you eligible for the Rent Accommodation Scheme (RAS), with the supplement

recalculated based on the new earnings level.

Rent Accommodation Scheme

You can qualify for RAS if you are in need of housing and have been getting Rent Supplement (in general for a period

of 18 months or more). Under RAS, the City Council enters into a long-term contract with a Private Landlord, you pay an income

related Rent {of 15% of after tax income in excess of e32 (single) e64 (couple)}. If you take up work you still get a subsidized rent.

If the Landlord withdraws, the council is obliged to secure another tenancy for the family. (For details, Tel: 2225440).

Housing Aid for pensioners

Older people or those with incapacities can get grants for home improvements from Dublin City Council. For a quicker service

call 2222195. The full grants below apply if the gross income of the owner and their spouse is less than e30,000, dropping on a

graduated basis to 30% for incomes e54,000 – e65,000, but no grant over that. They are:

• Housing Aid For Older People – Up to 100% grant in owner-occupied homes, for persons age 60 or over, of up to €10,500 for

necessary improvements – rewiring, roof repair, central heating (where none), and replacing of existing boiler when broken

beyond repair.

• M obility Aids – Up to 100% grant of up to €6,000 to address mobility problems, certified by a doctor (e.g. rails, ramps, stairlifts

and level access showers) in owned or private rented homes where the annual household income is under €30,000.

• Housing Adaptation (Disability) – Up to 95% grant of up to €30,000 to adapt a home to suit the needs of a person with an

enduring disability (e.g. downstairs toilet/shower, wheelchair adaptation, extension, etc.) in owned or private rented homes. The

works must be certified necessary by a doctor and may require an Occupational Therapist Report.

• Senior citizens who own their own house may sell it to the Council and seek Council Senior Citizens accommodation. They must

give the Corporation one third of the proceeds of the sale (aged 60-70) or less if over 70.

Safer Homes

Locks, chain reinforcing, security lighting and “pendant” alarms are now available on a year-round basis from certain Voluntary

Agencies such as Northside Homecare Services, Cromcastle Rd. (Tel: 8478410) and Home Safe Home Elderly Security

(Tel: 4130556, Fax: 4130555) (with funding from Social Welfare). Friends of the Elderly offer flexible assistance with odd jobs

for older people (Tel: 8731855).

Age Action Ireland has a team of volunteers available to do odd jobs for pensioners. They also have a list of honest and

trustworthy tradesmen. (Lo Call) 1890 369 369.

WARMER HOMES : A Home Insulation Scheme for pensioners and incapacitated people (who are on Fuel Allowance) through

Energy Action (454 5464) and CHIP (467 0344). Energy Action will insulate attics, draught-proof doors and windows, fit a

lagging jacket, a smoke alarm and two energy-saving light bulbs, fit a mortise lock and a spy hole. CHIP will do a full insulation

package including insulation of cavity walls.

GREENER HOMES: Better Energy Home Scheme: (tel: 1850 734 734) provides grants to homeowners for: insulation of attic (€200),

cavity wall (€250), internal wall (€1,800 (detached), €1,350 (semi or end-of-terrace), €900 (apartment (any) or mid-terrace), external

wall (€3,600 (detached), €2,700 (semi or end-of-terrace), €1,800 (apartment (any) or mid-terrace); heater control with boiler upgrade

(€560); heating controls upgrade only (€400); solar heating (€800). The solar grant is to incentivise investment in small solar systems in

the average home. Among the insulation works you can get a grant of €50 for a Building Energy Rating (BER). Grants will typically cover

20-30% of the full cost. Energy savings of up to 50% can be achieved.

External wall insulation: Before installing external insulation, you should first apply to your local authority for a Declaration of

Exemption form (cost: €80), as you may need planning permission.


Options for the unemployed

Back to Work Enterprise Allowance can be claimed by a person who has been unemployed or on Sickness benefit for

at least 12 months, when you start a business. It allows you retain part of your Social Welfare payments, tax free, for

2 years (100%, 75%).

A Short-Term Enterprise Allowance can be claimed by anyone who has been made redundant or who is eligible

for Jobseekers Benefit. It allows you to retain benefit until it expires (max 12 months). If you have been on social

welfare for at least three months, you can retain your payment and secondary benefits but the scheme will not

extend the duration of your entitlements. Help with the cost of start-up may be available from the County

Enterprise Board (Tel: 6351144) or First Step Microfinance (Tel: 2600988).

Seed Capital Scheme: if you start up and work full-time in your own company, you can claim back the income tax

you paid in the previous six years to invest equity into the company (subscribed as shares). New companies get relief

from Corporate Tax for the first three years of up to e5,000 per employee (max e40,000 Tax Credit).

Back to Work Tax Free Income (Revenue Assist) is claimable at your top rate if you are returning to work if you have

been previously unemployed or on disability allowance for 12 months or more – of e3,810 plus e1,270 for each child

in year 1, and two-thirds of these allowances in year 2, one-third in year 3. The employer is also entitled to double

write-off against tax. This will be replaced by the PlusOne initative during 2013.

JobBridge: offers an internship of 6-9 months to persons who have been signing on as available to work and

getting a payment or credits for at least 3 months. Time on completed programmes in Fás training, back to education

or a community scheme will count towards eligibility. Participants will receive €50/week on top of their welfare.

See www.jobbridge.ie

Springboard: offers free part-time certificate, degree or post-graduate courses in Institutes of Education to those

signing on at the time of starting, and allows retention of welfare payments. See www.springboardcourses.ie

Community Employment: Offers up to 20 hours work per week for 12 months to people aged 25 or over who have

been on Social Welfare for over 12 months and have worked no more than 30 days in the year. The allowance paid

€208, is €20 over Social Welfare. The period of participation can be extended in certain cases. The payment of a

child supplement for persons on One Parent Family Payment has been discontinued. New applicants for Community

Employment will no longer be able to retain their existing welfare payment.

Persons under 25 can only participate if on Disability Allowance, ex-Offenders, referred by Drugs Task Force.

Back to Education Allowance (from Department of Social and Family Affairs) or a VTOS Allowance

(VEC), is claimable if you are undertaking a full-time course leading to a recognised certificate at Second, Third or

Postgraduate, and are:

• at least 21 years of age (18, if out of education for at least 2 years), 24 Postgraduate and

• on Social Welfare for at least 3 months (for Second Level), 6 months (VTOS), or 9 months (for Third Level), or

immediately if you lose your job and get statutory redundancy.

A maximum rate of e160 BTEA/VTOS will be paid to persons under 25. If you are on these schemes, you must apply

for waiver of the Student Contribution under the third level grant (below). Part-time VTOS options can be taken

up without affecting Social Welfare entitlements subject to approval.


Third Level Grants are available for full-time undergraduate courses from SUSI (Student Universal Support

Ireland, www.studentfinance.ie). To qualify for a full grant and no Student Contribution, your parents’ gross

income in the previous year must be under e39,900 (up to 3 children). Above that there is partial entitlement

up to e45,800. The Student Contribution will be e2,500 in 2013/14 and e200 for PLC Course. Where

parents’ income is under e49,800, this contribution is not payable. A second student at third level adds

about e4,000 to these limits. The grant is worth e3,025 (living over 45km from college), e1,215 (adjacent).

The colleges also have access to a student assistance fund for students in need of support and students with

disabilities. (See also College Tax Reliefs under Taxation.)






C ertain expenses carry a 20% Tax Credit:

Rent Payments by tenants to private landlords is being phased out. Only tenants renting before 7th Dec 2010 still qualify.

For them relief in 2013 is up to a maximum e1,000 (single), e2,000 (married/widowed), and if you are aged 55 or over up to e2,000

and e4,000 respectively. This is to be phased out by 2017.

All unreimbursed Medical Expenses (including Nursing Home expenses); Maternity care; A Psychological Assessment and

S peech Therapy for children. You can also claim for the medical expenses of a close relative or any incapacitated or elderly

person regardless of their means. Routine Dental or Optical Care don’t qualify.

Health Insurance This relief is now granted at source and deducted from your premium by the insurer.

Insurance to cover long-term care costs in the event of serious disability, and to cover non-routine dental costs.

College Fees (including Tuition Fee and Student Contribution) of up to e7,500 for each student (2013/14) for full or part-time

undergraduate courses in Ireland or EU and for postgraduate courses in non-EU countries as well. However, the first €2,500 of

each claim is disregarded (i.e. for parents paying only the Student Contribution of e2,500, relief only applies for the second and

subsequent child in college).

Employer provided childcare is subject to income tax as Benefit in Kind.

• A Universal Social Charge applies to gross income, from whatever source (excluding only Social Welfare Payments) and without

deduction of pension contributions

— 2% up to €10,036 (€193 per week)

— 4% on the next €5,979 (next €115 per week)

— 7% on the remainder

An exemption applies to persons whose total income is under €10,036 (€193 per week). The self-employed pay 10% on income over


Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) applies to gross income (with no deduction for pension contributions) of workers and the selfemployed

aged 16-66. A single rate of 4% now applies to both categories with no ceiling. Public servants on modified rate will now

pay 4% on their income in excess of €75,036. All workers are exempt from Social Insurance if they earn less than €352 per week.

The minimum contribution by a self-employed person is €500 per year. From 2014 PRSI will also apply to unearned income.

Redundancy: You do not have to pay tax on Statutory Redundancy, nor on termination payments due to injury or disability. Tax is

payable on any other lump sums but after the deduction of the more favourable of:

• e765 for each complete year in the job, plus e10,160 and a further e10,000 is allowable if you are not a member of an Occupational

Pension Scheme, or

• 1/15th of your annual income (average of the last 3 years) for each year less any tax-free lump sum from the pension scheme.

This deduction cannot exceed €200,000. Topslicing Relief provides that the next €200,000 may be taxed, at the average rate of tax

you paid in the previous three years. Any remainder is taxed at your top rate.

Pensions: A certain portion of gross earnings under €115,000 can be put into a pension tax free. It is up to 15% (under 30 years)

rising in steps to 40% (60 years or over), allowable at your top rate of tax. New caps on the total amount you can accumulate tax-free

in a Pension Fund are planned for 2014. For the next 3 years a person may withdraw 30% of AVCs, but they will be taxed at your

marginal rate of tax.

DIRT Tax: Retention tax to 33% for ordinary deposit accounts, 36% on life assurance or investment accounts. Persons

who are 65 and over, or permanently incapacitated, can, if your total income is not sufficient to make you taxable, notify your bank

and receive the interest without deduction of DIRT.

• Help if the repayment schedule sought by the ES B/Gas to sort out a serious arrear causes excessive hardship.

In assessing eligibility, the CWO takes into account all income coming into the house including part-time earnings of a spouse and

income of other adults. Full-time students and persons working over 30 hours are not generally eligible. Decisions can be

appealed to the HSE , Bridgecourt Office Park, Walkinstown (Tel: 4609300).

T reatment Benefit now only covers free dental, optical examinations and Medical and Surgical Appliances (including hearing

aids, max e500 per aid once every 4 years) scheme for the insured worker and their spouse.

• The graduated pension entitlements of people with an incomplete pension have been changed for new applicants since

September 2012. People with less than 80% record over their lifetime will get a lower percentage of full pension as follows:

– an average of 30-39 weeks contributions per year, you get 90% pension

– an average of 20-29 weeks, you get 85% pension

– an average of 15-19 weeks, you get 65% pension

– an average of 10-14 weeks, you get 40% pension

As before, people with less than an average of 10 weeks per year do not qualify for payment.

• To qualify for the State Pension you must be 66. State Pension (Transition), currently payable from age 65 to 66, will cease to exist.

From 1st January 2021, the State Pension age is increasing to 67.

Free Schemes: If you are 66 or over or permanently incapacitated, and living alone except for dependents, a spouse on

Social Welfare, another pensioner, or someone giving you full-time care, you can receive the following concessions along with

your Irish or British Social Welfare Pension:

ES B or Natural Gas up to e420

• Free television licence; and

Telephone Allowance of e114/year (which can be used for mobile phones).

Pensioners who don’t have a Social Welfare pension can qualify at age 66 on the same terms provided their means don’t

exceed the Contributory OAP rate by more than e100.

If you are aged 70 or over, you can qualify for all of these free schemes regardless of your income or its source and regardless

of who lives with you and you can get the telephone allowance while residing in a nursing home. If you are widowed and aged 60

or over, you can retain the free schemes and free travel if your late spouse had them, and you satisfy the other conditions.

• In Social Welfare means tests for pensioners the first e20,000 (each) of savings are disregarded, the next successive e10,000

(each) slices are valued at e1/week and e2/week per e1,000 respectively and the balance at e4/week per e1,000.

Part-Time Working

• A person on Jobseeker’s Benefit loses one fifth of your payment for each day you work. A person on Jobseeker’s

A llowance will have 60% of your daily earnings over e20 deducted from the total weekly payment. In both cases, you

get no payment if you work more than 3 days. Earnings on a Sunday will also be counted from January 2013.

• A Lone Parent can earn e130 per week (after Pension Contributions and PRSI) without affecting their entitlement to One Parent

Family Payment. Between e130 and e425 payment is reduced by 50c for each euro of earnings. Up to e95.23 of Maintenance is

disregarded where there are housing payments to be met, thereafter half of the payment is assessed. One Parent Family Payment

ceases when the youngest child reaches 10 (from July 2013).

Jobseeker’s Allowance is cut to e150 if a job offer or activation measure is refused.

• A person claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance whose spouse is working will be paid the rate for a claimant and an adult

dependent less 60% of their spouse’s earnings (after deduction of pension contribution, PRSI and union subscriptions) in

excess of E60 per week.

A single person under 25 living at home who has left school can apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance, but will be assessed with 34% of

their parents’ disposable income (after deduction of tax, PRSI, superannuation, mortgage/rent, Health Insurance, Union Fees and e600

couple (e470 single parent) and e30 per child). Once you qualify for any payment, a minimum e40.00 per week is paid.

• Payment to new claimants under 25 of Jobseeker’s Allowance is capped at e100 if you are under 22, e144 if aged 22-24, unless you

are in training, on Back to Education Allowance or coming off Job Seeker’s Benefit.

• From January 2013, the duration of Jobseeker’s Benefit is reduced for new claimants to 9 months (6 months for those with less than

260 paid contributions).

• Under the Tax Credit system for Income Tax, Gross Tax minus Tax Credits = Tax Payable. Gross tax liability is calculated on your

total income (after deduction of superannuation and permanent health benefit) by applying 20% to income up to your standard rate

cut-off point and 41% on the remainder. The cut off point will be:

Standard Rate Cut-off Income 2013

Weekly 12 Month Value

Single/Widowed e630.77 e32,800

One Parent Family e707.69 e36,800

Married (one income) e803.85 e41,800

Married (two incomes) e1,261.54 e65,600

Separated spouses may be taxed singly or jointly.

If you rent rooms in your own home to an unconnected person and the annual rent is less than e10,000, the rent will be

exempt and subtracted from income before tax and PRSI. If you care for up to 3 children in your home and receive less than

e15,000, this income will be exempt from tax but a minimum e500 Social Insurance is payable. If you exceed these amounts,

the exemption is lost and the whole lot is taxed.

• Your Tax Certificate will show the annual value of all your Tax Credits and the equivalent weekly or monthly amount which are

subtracted from this gross liability to yield the tax payable:

Tax Credits 2013

Single Person e1,650 Age (65) Allowance (each) e245

Married Couple e3,300 Incapacitated Child e3,300

Widowed e2,190 Homecaring Spouse e810

One Parent Family e3,300 Dependent Relative e70

PAYE Allowance (each) e1,650

— The Homecaring Spouse Credit is available to a spouse in a one-earner family who is caring in the home for a child who is

eligible for Child Benefit or for an aged or handicapped person. You must apply for this allowance. The homecarer is

allowed to have up to e5,080 income of their own, thereafter the credit is reduced, reaching zero if income exceeds e6,620.

Carer’s Allowance is not counted as income in this means test.

One Parent Family Credit applies to a single or widowed person if you can show that your child resided with you for at least

part of the year. This relief is not available to an unmarried couple living together

Dependent Relative Credit is claimable if you support a widowed mother or incapacitated relative whose income does not

exceed the contributory OAP

— A parent with dependent children who is widowed gets an additional tax credit in each of the 5 subsequent tax years of

e3,600, e3,150, e2,700, e2,250 and e1,800 respectively.

• Tax credits which are unused are not refundable. They will be carried forward from week to week during a tax year, but if unused

after the end of the tax year, they are lost.

Age Exemption: Persons aged 65 or over are exempt from income if their gross incomes from all sources is under

e18,000 (single), e36,000 (married), no income tax will apply.

• An Incapacitated Person or one or more of their family, can deduct up to e50,000 from their taxable income to employ a home help.

Mortgage interest: Mortgage relief has been phased out. It will not apply to new loans from Jan 2013. New loans taken out before

31 Dec 2012 continue to qualify for relief for the remainder of their approved period.

• The Basic Social Welfare rates from January 2013 are:

Adult Adult Dependent

Contributory OAP (Full Rate) e230.30 e206.30 (aged 66 or over)

Non Contributory OAP e219.00 e144.70 (aged 66 or over)

Contributory Widows – under 66 e193.50 —

Contributory Widows – 66 or over e230.30 —

Invalidity Pension e193.50 e138.10

Supplementary Welfare e186.00 e124.80

All Other Payments e188.00 e124.80

Living Alone Allowance e7.70

Over 80 Allowance e10.00


Child Benefit is paid for all children (e130 month for the first three, e140 others) up to their 16th birthday, or 18th birthday if in

full-time education or with a disability. A single rate of e130 will apply from 2014 onwards.

Qualified Child Payment of e29.80 is paid to persons on Social Welfare up to the end of the academic year in which

the child reaches 18. A person on social welfare for over 26 weeks can claim up to 22nd birthday if in full-time education.

Full rate QCP will be paid if your spouse is working and earning no more than e400.

• A Back-to-School payment of e100 for primary pupils from age 4, e200 for secondary pupils and a payment of e110

for a Communion or Confirmation payable to persons on Social Welfare whose weekly income is not more than e150

over the weekly contributory pension rate.

Family Income Supplement: A couple or a single parent on low pay, who work for at least 19 hours per week combined

(including job-sharers) can get a supplement for their children (including those 18-22 in full-time education). The

payment is calculated at 60c for each E1 by which your take-home family income (i.e. net of tax, PRSI and

superannuation) falls below the following income:

– e506.00 for a family with one child, plus

– e96 for second, e101 for third, e121 for fourth, and e126 (approx) for each other child.

If you qualify, the payment will last at least 52 weeks and it will be of a minimum e20 per week. You may also be eligible for a

Back-to-School payment from the HSE, but the means tests are not identical. FIS will not affect your eligibility for a medical card.

You can claim One Parent Family Payment and your FIS is not counted as means.

• A widow(er) with children receives a once off e6,000 in the year of bereavement, in addition the standard Bereavement Grant of e850

is payable. From Jan 2012 widows and OPFA can no longer claim half rate unemployment or illness along with their payment.

• The Dept of Social Protection pays Domiciliary Care Allowance e309.50 per month and an annual respite grant of e1,375 up to

their 16th birthday for children with a disability who require considerable extra care. A payment of e35 per week is payable to a

resident in institutional settings who does not have Disability Allowance.

F ree Pre School for one year is available to any child aged between 3 years and 3 months and 4 years and 6 months on 1st

September covering either:

Playschool for 3 hours daily for 38 weeks, or

Childcare for 2 hours 15 minutes daily for 50 weeks.

A pre-school cannot charge parents extra for the hours covered by the scheme, but can charge for extra hours or for additional

activities as long as these are optional.

Fuel Scheme: A Fuel allowance of e20 / week is payable for 26 weeks if you are on long-term Social Welfare with no more

than e100 per week in household income over the contributory pension rate. However, to qualify, you must be living alone, or

only with dependants or another person on long-term social welfare or the JSA.

S upplementary Welfare: The Community Welfare Officer in the HSE may help out with the following:

• A weekly payment if you are sick or unemployed and have not received Social Welfare.

• A supplement towards the assigned cost of a special diet (about e70) less one third (one sixth in the case of a couple) of the

applicant’s current income. Exceptional heating supplement can be paid in serious medical circumstances.

• A once-off payment for unforeseen needs such as a funeral, fares to visit or attend hospital, a robbery, fire or flood; or for

unaffordable essential needs such as: furniture or kitchen equipment when setting up home; needs associated with pregnancy

and a new baby; clothing or replacing essential equipment for older people on low income or in poor health.

Capital Acquisitions Tax: Gifts or inheritance bear a 33% tax on the market value of the assets received in excess of

certain thresholds, which vary according to your relationship with the giver.

Relationship to Giver Exempt Threshold 2013

A. Son/Daughter €225,000

B. Grandchild/Brother/Sister/Niece/Nephew/Parent €30,150

Relationship other than Group A or B €15,075

Stamp Duty: Transfers of residential property will pay 1% up to €1 million, and to 2% on any excess over that.

Local Property Tax, replacing the Household Charge is 0.18% up to €1m and 0.25% of the value in excess of €1m of

the market value of a residential property on 1st May 2013. This value which is self-assessed will remain the basis for the

calculation for the next 4 years. The tax is calculated at the midpoint of the band in which your house falls

Up to €100,000 €90 tax

€100,001 – 150,000 €225 tax

Values go up in bands of €50,000 adding €90 to the tax due each time. In 2013, only half the full rate need be paid

(due on 1st July). The tax applies to rented property (including social housing) and the owner is legally responsible to

pay. The second-home tax of €200 will apply for the last time in 2013. New houses purchased in the next 4 years will be

exempt until 2017.

An owner may defer payment:

• For an indefinite period where gross income does not exceed €15,000 (single) or €25,000 (couple)

• Up to 2017 where gross incomes less 80% mortgage interest falls below €15,000 (single) or €25,000 (couple).

Half the tax may be deferred in both cases up to €25,000 (single), €35,000 (couple). Interest of 4% of the deferred tax will

be added each year to be recovered from the sale/transfer of the property.